Clarksville, Tenn. Clarksville Academy, a Pre-K through 12th grade private college preparatory school, announced Monday that Dr. Kay Drew has decided to transition from her position as Head of School to join her husband, Brig. General Tom Drew in Fayetteville, NC at Ft. Bragg as he takes command as Deputy Commanding General for U.S. Special Operations. Her move is effective July 31, 2018.
Dr. Kay Drew has had a long association with Clarksville Academy. Prior to her appointment as Head of School of Clarksville Academy in 2003, Drew began her career at CA as an Art teacher in 1993. After several years of teaching, she was asked to transition into the role of External Affairs Director. In 2002, Drew was asked to serve as Interim Head of School and shortly thereafter was installed as the sixth Head of School by the search committee and CA Board of Trustees.
Dr. Drew states, “Tom and I have spent many hours, days, and even weeks discussing, thinking, and praying about this decision and I have clarity and peace with it. The emotional rollercoaster of this announcement comes from having spent the majority of my years in education here at Clarksville Academy and having that era come to a close.”
Clarksville Academy Chairman of the Board, Tim Sawyer shared, “I express my sincere appreciation to Kay for her many outstanding contributions and accomplishments during her tenure at Clarksville Academy. She has played a pivotal and critical role in the development and success of our school. Her commitment to the faculty and staff and the Board of Trustees, an unending passion for our children’s education, and a desire to strive for excellence in every aspect of the school’s operation is contagious and will be missed.”
Under Dr. Kay Drew’s successful school leadership, Clarksville Academy has cataloged many accomplishments that have made a profound difference in the school and in the lives of the students.
Enrollment and Retention
- Under Drew’s leadership, the school has experienced impressive gains in enrollment for 15 consecutive years. Student enrollment has more than doubled increasing to the current 658 students.
- In her tenure, Clarksville Academy has seen a 90% average for the retention rate among not only students but faculty as well.
- The school now draws students from over 27 zip codes, to include a diverse population of military, civilian, and international students.
- Drew led the innovative move from books only to the addition of 1:1 Apple technology in grades K-12, and the school’s designation as a nationally recognized Apple Distinguished School for five years.
- She guided the Clarksville Academy athletic program through the addition of expanded team offerings, and increased team success including a State Championship title, and a move to Division II athletics.
- Inside the growth of student population, strong student performance has also occurred with increased college readiness scores, 100% college acceptances and increased college scholarship dollars.
- Drew added a service education component (CBL or Challenge-Based Learning) to the curriculum. Students and faculty team and collaborate for solutions of positive change in the greater Clarksville community in the areas of health, arts, low-income needs, and military family assistance.
Campus Growth and Development
- She positioned Clarksville Academy for growth by purchasing 26.5 acres and developing the CA Sports Complex and field house. The complex includes Wes Smith Baseball Field, Simpson Football field, Burchett Softball field, Winn Soccer field, and the Marissa Maples Hood practice field.
- Her vision and a strong desire for growth resulted in the construction of a $4.5 million new education building, which houses state of the art classrooms.
- CA is currently purchasing 5 acres of adjoining land at the sports complex for future athletic programs.
- Under Drew’s leadership, the school has generated increased financial gifts.
When asked about her leadership at Clarksville Academy Drew stated, “I feel very proud of all that has been accomplished, and I owe a debt of gratitude to those who have worked along my side, both past and present, during this journey. I have had the opportunity to team with some fantastic teammates, students, families, alumni, and Board of Trustee members. I am leaving behind a truly outstanding team at Clarksville Academy. It is a team filled with talent, energy, focus, character, and loyalty. CA will continue to be served at the highest level.”
Dr. Drew will remain committed to assisting the Board of Trustees in making a smooth transition to the eventual hiring of a new Head of School. Kay Drew, Clarksville Academy Board of Directors and the CA administrative team will be diligent and focused on the right action plan for the open Head of School position. This plan will be announced on the CA website in June 2018.